Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#56411 - Fri Dec 17 2010 15:41 PM DD-214 for reservist
jpeacock Offline

Loc: Texas
Any prior service reservists or recruiters out there, I need some help. I have been working with a local recruiter since October to try and come into the Air Force in the prior service program. I have 6 years of PS in the Marine Corps reserve. The recruiter has all of my paperwork, and copies of several DD214's from previous deployments, however my package is now at the group level where it seems to have hit a roadblock. They are requesting a final discharge (DD214) from me, however as a reservist I never received one at the end of my contract. All the 214's that I have supplied show an RE-code of 1A, however they are not moving forward with me without a "final discharge" with an RE code on it. I am at a complete loss as to what to do now. It is hard to beleive that I am the first ever prior reservist to join the active air force. If anyone has suggestions on what to do for me or my recruiter it would be very appreciated, or where I can find an official order saying that reservists do not rate a DD214. Thank you in advance.
John

Click to support the Site!
#56412 - Fri Dec 17 2010 19:28 PM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
rking38 Offline

I had the same problem of not having the correct DD214, but I was prior AD Air Force.

The recruiter said just go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ & just make sure that you request one with nothing left out. I think it's the one marked "ribbons" or "benefits", but it should be self-explanatory in the process of requesting what you need from the site.

It does take a few weeks though, so you have to really take care of it as quick as possible.

#56413 - Sat Dec 18 2010 01:06 AM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
jpeacock Offline

Thank you for your reply, but let me clarify. I was not issued a final DD214 because I was in the reserves. The DD214 is a "discharge from active duty" My dilemma is that the recruiter is asking for a document that for me doesn't exist. Anyone with suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks

#56418 - Sun Dec 19 2010 08:07 AM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
pic Offline

Loc: Hurlburt
Is your term with the Marine Corps finished, or are you doing a conditional release?

#56420 - Sun Dec 19 2010 15:05 PM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
jpeacock,
You should have gotten an equivalent of a DD214 when you out-processed your unit. The document does exist, you just need to lay hands on it. Call your old unit and explain that you need of your final discharge paperwork so you can enlist in the USAF.
Don't expect your Recruiter to solve your issues; he has a lot of other priorities, you only have one! It is your life, take charge of it. Go find the document. Give a copy to your Recruiter. Keep a copy for yourself. Start a file of all your paperwork. You may need it some day.
Good luck.

#56433 - Tue Dec 21 2010 07:49 AM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
Monoman Offline

Loc: Chicago
As Guard said your old unit should have it, or you should be able to obtain one at a records office somewhere in your local area. As a reservist you get a DD214 for every time you come off of active duty orders. So there will be one for your Basic and Advanced training as well as every other tour of duty you've done, such as a deployment, (not going on tdy orders). You will get a Member copy 1, which is the original and should be kept in a safe place, and a member copy 4 to make copies of and give out. I have 3 DD214s myself.

Edited by Monoman (Tue Dec 21 2010 07:51 AM)

#56435 - Tue Dec 21 2010 14:30 PM Re: DD-214 for reservist [Re: jpeacock]
jpeacock Offline

Got it taken care of, thanks for all the help. This site is a great resource, keep it up.

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, RECA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12543 Members
83 Forums
12009 Topics
54893 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas

Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin