Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#61747 - Wed Jul 25 2012 13:25 PM My progress in getting to PJ indoc.
DavidLP Offline

Loc: California
Hi everyone, I just want to make sure I am on track for getting into the indoc and having my chance to become a PJ.

I just took the ASVAB today. Won't get my results until my recruiter comes back from vacation, but I am very confident I scored in the high 90s on the AFQT.

I haven't been down to MEPS, but I am sure I am medically qualified. My eyesight and hearing are normal or better.

I can pass the PAST. Starting to get <9:00 on my swim, <9:15 on the run, 13+ pull ups. I forget my sit-up and push-up scores, but they are passing. I do need to put a good deal of work into improving my push-ups though.

My recruiter says that I will be booking a AFSC other than Pararescue when I go to MEPS, then after I come back and his commanding officer approves me passing the PAST, my current AFSC and ship date will be transferred to someone else, and I will get Pararescue and a new ship date.

How are things looking so far? Anything I should be doing besides continuing to train, study, and stay out of trouble?

Thanks!

Click to support the Site!
#61748 - Wed Jul 25 2012 13:31 PM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: DavidLP]
boxinabag Offline

Loc: Sumter, SC
I wouldn't sign anything unless it said pararescue on it, but that's just me and I am not too sure about the entire process with active duty. It may be required to do it as you are doing it, someone else will confirm this for you I am sure.

For your pushups, do this, start your watch for 2:00, and begin doing pushups, do 20, use the remaining time between 1:30 and 2:00 as rest (in the allowed rest position), than at 1:30, do 20 more, rest, 1:00, 20, rest, :30, 20+. This way of pacing myself puts me currently at 86.

#61749 - Wed Jul 25 2012 13:43 PM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: DavidLP]
DavidLP Offline

Loc: California
Thank's for the push-up advice boxinabag. I'll give that a try.

The different AFSC thing was making me a bit concerned. I was hoping someone else here might be able to offer some insight there.

#61751 - Wed Jul 25 2012 14:33 PM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: DavidLP]
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
The AFSC part is correct. You go to MEPS and pick 5 jobs, none of which can be PJ/CCT etc. since you haven't passed the PAST and need the MEPS physical before taking the PAST. Once you pass the PAST, you will be re-booked into a PJ GTEP slot with a new ship date.

#61752 - Wed Jul 25 2012 14:51 PM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: DavidLP]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
Take the Physical, then the PAST, then sign a GTEP Contract for Pararescue. You shouldn't sign a contract until you've passed both the Enlistment Physical and the PAST. Once you pass both, you can ask for a GTEP Contract for Pararescue. You may be asked to consider 4 other AFSCs in case you don't get picked up for Pararescue.
I doubt your Recruiter will try to get you to sign up for something else for no reason; he'll want you to get a PJ GTEP contract too. Slots are hard to fill so when they get qualified applicant, they WANT to put him in that hard to fill slot.

#61754 - Wed Jul 25 2012 16:21 PM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: boxinabag]
Yukon Online
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK, USA
Originally Posted By: boxinabag
I wouldn't sign anything unless it said pararescue on it, but that's just me and I am not too sure about the entire process with active duty.
The Reserve and Guard differ from active duty as generally the hopeful want to be applicants are being hired by the unit footing some of the bill to get the new PJ trained. The AF Reserve and Air Guard squadron (team) hiring to fill vacancies at their unit puts the potential applicant/candidate through a more rigorous and robust screening and selection process than just the PAST.

Active duty deals with the Air Force Recruiting Service. Although there are Special Tactics recruiting liaisons they are not doing much more than keeping both recruiters and recruits honest in the administrating and documenting of PAST scores.

Air Force policy is:

2.32. Processing Applicants to MEPS:

2.32.1. Only applicants who are test qualified and motivated to join the Air Force will be scheduled for MEPS processing. One-stop processing (test and physical) is authorized when advantageous to the Air Force. Before scheduling applicants for one-stop processing, recruiters should have a high degree of confidence that the applicant will pass the ASVAB test. In these cases, EST or CAST screening should have been conducted and results documented in AFRISS.

6.3. Enlistment in the DEP.

-I understand that the Air Force will try to reserve me a job for which I am qualified. If my choices are not available, I may offer additional choices or elect discharge from the Delayed Enlistment Program.

Consequently getting the PJ/CCT/SOW/TACP/SERE/EOD GTEP agreement does require signing legally binding contract of intent not disclosing anything about these AFSCs to get to MEPS, to take the PAST and if qualified to get the GTEP contract.

#61758 - Thu Jul 26 2012 06:49 AM Re: My progress in getting to PJ indoc. [Re: Yukon]
boxinabag Offline

Loc: Sumter, SC
Thanks for the clarification guys. The advice given here is great DavidLP. Also I agree with GuardMC, I really doubt they would deter you from Pararescue or any Battlefield Airmen position. I spoke to an active duty recruiter yesterday, just to give him my information incase any new recruits are looking for people serious about training. He told me that the Air Force is hurting for Battlefield Airmen and prior service right now. Sadly, they can't get anyone to pass the test. They had 15 take it last week, 1 passed lol. So if you CAN pass it, you are a strong candidate... plus from my understanding a recruiter gets a bonus for recruiting battlefield airmen, more motivation for the recruiter lol.

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
1 registered (mxfit12), 38 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12400 Members
83 Forums
11950 Topics
54706 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas

Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin