Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#57234 - Sun Mar 20 2011 14:23 PM Becoming Pararescue Reserve Process?
ppttcc Offline

Loc: Laguna Niguel, CA
So I've been talking to an Air Force Reserve recruiter about becoming a PJ and I have just begun the process. I have not sworn in or anything yet but I've done the MEPS ASVAB and physical, now I go on to take a flight physical early next month. My question is: what would be the next step for me as far as taking the PAST or enlisting etc? The recruiter's telling me that he needs to forward the two physicals to the Surgeon General and then he makes the decision whether or not I can become a PJ. I'm told to expect a 6-month process or so but I just havn't been able to get a good answer out of him of what to expect. I'm training hard everyday but I'd like to have at least a rough timeframe so that I can set goals and deadlines for myslef.
Any feedback would be great. Thanks guys.

Click to support the Site!
#57239 - Mon Mar 21 2011 08:10 AM Re: Becoming Pararescue Reserve Process? [Re: ppttcc]
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
Current guidance states you must pass the MEPS physical and complete the Class III (flight physical) before taking the PAST...it does take a while for the SG to approved the physical...it's part making sure there are no problems or waivers required, and part certification for future sister-service pipeline courses (airborne, MFF, etc.).

It's tought to get a "good answer" because of the SG part...6-months is a good estimate...maybe a little quicker or sooner...

#57254 - Tue Mar 22 2011 16:40 PM Re: Becoming Pararescue Reserve Process? [Re: ppttcc]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
One amendment to what TE posted; Air National Guard (ANG) and Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) Rescue and STS units can give the PAST before the Physical. You should be talking to an AFRC Recruiter from a base that has PJs (Davis Montham AFB, AZ, Patrick AFB, FL, etc.). You can't just join the Air Force Reserve and become a PJ, you have to join an AFRC Rescue Wing that has PJs.

If you are joining a Rescue Wing, ask the Recruiter to put you in touch with the PJ Squadron and they will give you better info. Most Rescue Squadrons have a PJ or two dedicated to Recruiting who will guide you through the process. He should also be able to advise you on PT, set up your PAST date, etc. The Recruiters handle all the admin side of joining the Reserves and the PJ handles the particulars of Pararescue. They should be working hand in hand to help you join the unit.

6 months is a pretty good estimate on the Class III Flight Physical. I've seen as little as 2 months and as long as a year but the current rate is about 6 months for ANG and AFRC.

Good luck.

#57256 - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:47 AM Re: Becoming Pararescue Reserve Process? [Re: Guard MC]
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
Thanks MC, you're right, I was quoting AD info.

#57275 - Thu Mar 24 2011 19:25 PM Re: Becoming Pararescue Reserve Process? [Re: ppttcc]
ppttcc Offline

Loc: Laguna Niguel, CA
Guard MC you answered my next question without me having to ask. Thank you both for the information it is very helpful.

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
2 registered (Yukon, toddkeeton87), 35 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12421 Members
83 Forums
11954 Topics
54732 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas

Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin