Check ST.com Email | Hooahshirts.com | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Recommended Books | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#53723 - Wed Apr 14 2010 11:51 AM Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

Loc: OCONUS
ALCON,
All of the 13L Air Liaison Officer (ALO) information and instructions for applicants can be found on the TACP Community of Practice (CoP). The website is listed below and must be accessed by a gov't computer using a CAC card. Users will need to click on the link in the top left corner to request to become a member of the CoP, AF/A3O-AYO will receive notification of this request, and will then grant them access. Revisit the site after membership is accepted and find all 13L information is located in the 13L folder on the CoP. The link is: https://afkm.wpafb.af.mil/community/views/home.aspx?Filter=AF-OP-00-04. After you review the information on the CoP, if you have further questions feel free to contact me. Please refer to the listed POCs for information or you can PM me.

Attachments
13L_ALO_Trifold_(Final).pdf (461 downloads)
ALO Job Description-FINAL.docx (399 downloads)
FFETG_USAF_TACP.pdf (437 downloads)
Description: Sample PT Regimen as prescribed by TACP Operators in the Field

Edited by BayouBoy (Wed Apr 14 2010 12:41 PM)

#53730 - Wed Apr 14 2010 13:28 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

I have more information as well that will keep you from having to navigate to the AF Portal, but you must send me a PM with a .mil email address to receive a response. This protects the folks that are out there trying to help everyone get to the pipeline. If you are not on Active Duty yet, send a PM with your information and I will request permission to release data to your personal email address.

Edited by BayouBoy (Wed Apr 14 2010 13:31 PM)

#53825 - Thu Apr 22 2010 06:38 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

ALCON,
I have received some good questions and requests for information. Please feel free to post here and I will do my best to answer or get you an answer ASAP. In the meantime, here are a few that I have received:

1. How does the application process work? You access the CoP, download the packet, complete the packet and submit to the Careerfield manager for review by the board. If you packet is accepted, you will attend Phase II selection at a date and location that will be determined later. You will receive an email notifying you of your selection and that email will contain your reporting information for Phase II.

2. When is the next Phase II board? All Phase II boards for the rest of the fiscal year have been cancelled until further notice. Please keep checking back for updates.

3. What is the timeline for getting my Class III physical approved? The typical timeline is between six months and one year depending on your individual physical. If you have items in your physical that require more research and review, your timeline will be longer than personnel with few or zero issues. All physicals are still sent to the AETC Flight Surgeon's office and it can take longer depending on the time of year and how many physicals are in front of yours for review.

4. What should I be doing to prepare? I have posted the workout that worked for me and other candidates. I have other Workouts I will send you if you PM me and there are plenty on ST.com that can help you. You can also contact Rob Shaul for the Ruck-Based Selection workout on militaryathlete.com. It is a great workout and will help you prep your feet, shoulders and back for moving under load and under duress.

Thanks for the interest and questions. I will do my best to keep you informed as more data becomes available.

#54007 - Thu May 06 2010 19:47 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Karab Offline

Loc: FL
Bayou,

Unless today is an exception, your link does not work in your first post. I've tried it in multiple browsers with no luck.

Second, do you have any information for the application process for ROTC cadets (if there even is one)?

#54008 - Thu May 06 2010 20:53 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: Karab]
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
You have to be authorized access to the AF portal for his first link to work.

#54018 - Fri May 07 2010 10:18 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: TE]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

Karab,
If you wish to apply as a ROTC cadet, you will need to request the application packet through your Cadre. I have spoken to the FAM for the 13L careerfield and this is the approved process. If you can get me a good point of contact at your detachment, I will send them all of the information so that it remains with your school for all prospective candidates to use. Some key points for you are:

1. You need to be in your graduation year of school. I had previously told a cadet that he needed to be a Senior, not realizing that some students are granted this status and sometimes need an additional year to complete their degree. Not a big deal, but you need to be within one year of commissioning before applying.

2. You need to be eligible to obtain a Ground-Based Controller physical and a Flying Class III so that you can go to Airborne down the road. Army units can and do jump and you need to be versatile enough to go anywhere you are needed without physical limitations. The first is mandatory, the other will help you tremendously as you progress in your career.

3. You need to have a solid letter of recommendation from your Commandant of Cadets. If you are a good troop with good grades, accomplished a few leadership positions within your Detachment, etc. you should have no issues with this. Once I speak with your Cadre, I will forward you my Letter to your personal email. PM me and we will keep working it together to have the best product possible before submitting your packet.

If you have any other questions, please fire away. I am on station for about 3 more weeks and then I will be prepping to move to Hurlburt.

#54027 - Sun May 09 2010 11:55 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Karab Offline

Loc: FL
Excellent news! ROTC is usually blind when it comes to any matters outside of typical AFSCs. I'm actually the Wing CC for our Det this next semester, and I know there are a handful of cadets here who are looking into fields such as this (myself included). I'll be firing you a personal message following this post.

On another note, is there any exclusion policy that prevents application to both STO/CRO and ALO at the same time?

#54234 - Thu Jun 03 2010 12:29 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: Karab]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

ALCON,
I have been notified that there have been further slips for class dates. The next team will be starting 2 weeks after their original start date. This should have no effect on applications, etc. but speaks to the "Semper Gumby" qualities that you need to possess prior to entering the schoolhouse as an ALO candidate. I do not have a reason for the slip, and a rationale is not required. Just be prepared to move the target as needed while maintaining a positive mental approach for your teammates. Once I get more information, I will post for your situational awareness. I have been extended on station due to unrelated events, so I will be online and able to respond until 14 July.

#54280 - Mon Jun 07 2010 17:40 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Hoosiers20 Offline

BayouBoy,

What all is included in the ground based controller physical? I've been researching but can't find any concrete info on what you have to do. Thanks.

#54287 - Tue Jun 08 2010 08:51 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: Hoosiers20]
TE Offline
Operator

Medical standards for ALO/GBC are in Section 6I — Ground Based Aircraft Controller, starting on page 119, in AFI 48-123 available here:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123.pdf

#54536 - Tue Jul 06 2010 16:06 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Bleed_Blue Offline

For ROTC cadets interested in ALO....

I'm not an expert on this topic or claiming to be, but I've had my eyes on the ALO field since before it opened up to non-rate officers last year.

I'm a Senior at Rutgers in NJ and Wing CC of my Det and can't wait to Commission. I've found out alot about 13L and have already had my Cadre sign into the restricted website. Theyve fed me alot of good info including a mach Phase 1 packet and slideshow along with some other stuff. If anyone needs these I will gladly email them.

I also just got my GBAC done a month ago. It sucks and takes about 7-8 hours. They check everything from eyes to ears to heart to teeth. They also robbed me of 10 viles of blood. It's a new experience but one that's necessary. You should schedule through your NCO at your Det ASAP just to be safe. Once your done Phase I and II are the only things left.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I have some decent info in relation to ROTC cadets looking to put some bombs on target.

I can't see myself doing anything but this. If you need anything message me and I will email you.

Also, if there's anyone knowledgable about getting in touch with some TACPs or ALOs I would be grateful for any help.

#54539 - Tue Jul 06 2010 20:37 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: Bleed_Blue]
TE Offline
Operator

Have your Cadre check the restricted website, I believe there is some mentor information for TACP/ALO. Also, be careful what you email to anyone asking...BayouBoy is working with the careerfield POCs and posting what is allowed on this site...if it's not here, chances are it should not be posted or emailed. I too have access and will check to see if there are any updates and check with the TACP CFM on what he wants posted.

#54543 - Wed Jul 07 2010 16:39 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: TE]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

Gents, TE is right. I have spoken to the TACP and ALO CFM and I am operating based on their prescribed ROE. We have control measures in place for a reason. If you cadre get access and pull data for you, that is great. They are permitted access based on their status as active duty service members. Bleed, you are still a cadet and have not been subjected to what can happen when the wrong person gets your information. Be a good teammate and follow the ROE. Feel free to send me a PM if needed. To the rest, I am in the net for a couple more weeks and then I will be picking up my team for the August Indoc class. That is a new wrinkle to the training pipeline. After I start team, I will not have access to the web until we earn that privelege, so please get all of your questions in by 15 Aug so I can respond. Good luck with training.

#54558 - Sat Jul 10 2010 09:24 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Bleed_Blue Offline

roger that

#56952 - Tue Feb 22 2011 17:48 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Hoosiers20 Offline

Have some questions that no one can seem to answer:

I am a junior ROTC cadet interested in applying for ALO. I will be a senior next year, but will have to take an additional semester to graduate ( total of 4.5 years/9 semesters) I know you have to be a year out from commissioning to apply.

Is there a Phase I offered in the spring time?

If not, would I have to wait until my "super-senior" 5th year in that fall of 2012, or can I still apply next fall of 2011 in my "senior" 4th year?

Any info is much appreciated.

#57423 - Wed Apr 06 2011 12:46 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

Gents, Latest WARNO from HQ AF...
Field Leaders,

Subject: Soliciting Volunteers for the 13L Air Liaison Officer (ALO) Career Field - August 2011 Phase II selection announcement

1. We are seeking highly motivated candidates who are interested in becoming a 13L ALO. Officers who are selected will begin training on a space available basis after completion of Phase II ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA).

2. Applications are now being accepted for the 13L ALO career field. Candidates who are selected this cycle will attend AAA tentatively scheduled for August 1-5 at Moody AFB, GA. This announcement is primarily for USAF cross flow officers and Inter-service Transfer (IST) Candidates. USAFA and ROTC cadets who are graduating in 2011 (in or out of cycle) and have not applied previously will also be considered. 2012 graduates do not apply at this time. Current or prior 1C4XX OTS candidates need not apply at this time, a separate announcement will be made when OTS slots become available in FY12(see pp 4.A.(3) below for more info).

3. Suspense for applications: 1 July 2011.

4. Eligibility criteria:
A.
(1) USAF active duty officers. We will accept applications from officers who have met the AFPC non-rated line officer crossflow board as well as any interested officers who have been released by their functional manager (this is the first step, you must get released from your AFSC, I cannot help you with this). Officers must be non-rated, rank of 2LT through major, and less than eleven years TAFCS by the date they start Phase II. Officers should not apply until released from their AFSC by their functional manager. One year Time on Station (TOS) is required prior to PCS, however in most cases the officer will attend 13L TDY from his current duty location which reduces the impact of the TOS requirement.

(2) Inter-service Transfers (IST). Slots are extremely limited. Due to force shaping, a waiver is required to bring other service members into the AF, and we cannot guarantee that our waiver requests will be granted. Note: This category includes Air National Guard (ANG) candidates wishing to convert to active duty AF.

(3) USAFA and AFROTC cadets in their senior year. The August AAA is not primarily for USAFA and ROTC cadets; however, 2011 graduates who were unable to apply previously may apply.

(4) OTS applicants. USAF active duty enlisted with current or prior 1C4 experience. Most current info follows: OTS candidates do not need to apply at this time! All OTS slots are filled until July of 2012. We will announce a separate board for OTS applicants when 2012 slots are allocated. All OTS applicants must have AFRS verify eligibility to attend OTS; send OTS application packages to HQ AFRS/RSOCL, 550 D Street West Suite 1, Randolph AFB TX 78150, in care of Ms. Rose Navarrete-Flores. Email afrsots@us.af.mil or call voice (210)565-0340/DSN 665-0340 with questions. AFRS will validate OTS eligibility status to the 13L CFM. Once verified, OTS applicants will be rank ordered through a board and placed into OTS slots as they become available. Phase II is not required for OTS ALO selects. OTS applications will be active for one year, if the applicant has not received an OTS slot at one year they must re-apply. Note: Our 13L OTS slots are outside of the general OTS selection process - You may continue to apply to OTS through the general OTS board held periodically by the Air Force, however you will not be awarded the 13L AFSC through this process.

B. Must be male only.

C. Must be a volunteer for hazardous duty.

D. Must be able to attend Phase II AAA, as scheduled. Candidates who are unable to attend the Phase II may be rescheduled if slots are available in a later Phase II.

E. Must meet medical standards for ground based controller duty IAW AFI 48-123 FOR 13LX AIR LIAISON DUTY (CURRENT AF FORM 422 OR AF FORM 1042).
F. Must meet current TACP Physical Ability Stamina Test (PAST) standards. Requirements, administration instructions, and results reporting instructions can be found on the TACP CoP, in the 13L applications Documents folder.

NOTE: Applicants may submit their packages before receiving their certified physical results, as long as they have completed all parts of the exam and are waiting for the processing of the paperwork. Applicants with completed physicals will have priority over non-complete applicants for Phase II slots.

G. Must be eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.

5. The 13L selection process has two phases

A. Phase I- records review. Application packages will be reviewed and applicants who are selected will continue on to Phase II.

B. Phase II- ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA). Approximately 28 candidates will undergo five days of activity that will test their physical and leadership abilities. Candidates will be evaluated to determine suitability for 13L duty. AAA is also designed to introduce the candidate to the life of an ALO so that the candidate can make an informed decision. 13L is a volunteer career field and applicants are free to remove themselves from consideration at any time during the AAA. Note on Phase II priority: If applicants exceed slots, first-time AAA candidates will have priority over those who are repeating AAA.

6. Candidates for 13L ALO apply via the ALO candidate application package. Details are located in the 13L section of the TACP CoP, https://www.my.af.mil/afknprod/community/views/home.aspx?Filter=AF-OP-00-04
ALO candidate application packages must contain the following:

A. ALO candidate summary sheet
1. USAFA cadets must obtain Air Officer Commanding (AOC) and Group AOC (no higher) endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
2. AFROTC cadets must obtain Commandant of Cadets (COC) and detachment Commanders endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
3. Officers should obtain squadron and group commander (or equivalent) endorsement

B. Applicant profile (resume)

C. Copies of all US Army training certificates or diplomas documenting completion of any Army formal training course (Airborne, Pathfinder, Ranger, etc), if applicable

D. PAST results. Applicants must take the PAST and submit a commander certified PAST score sheet. The PAST scores will be a factor in determining whether applicants proceed to Phase II. All applicants will be required to meet PAST minimum standards during Phase II. Requirements, administration instructions, and results reporting instructions can be found on the TACP CoP, in the 13L Applications Documents folder. NOTE: We lose about SEVEN candidates per AAA for PAST and ruck march failures - be prepared!

E. Hazardous duty volunteer statement

F. Memorandum from the applicants functional manager at AFPC releasing the applicant from their current AFSC to compete for 13L. This is a prerequisite to COMPETE for 13L, all applicants still must complete the two phase selection process.

G. Last three OPRs/EPRs

H. Current AF Form 422 (stating that applicant meets the physical requirements for the 13L ALO career field) or AF Form 1042. Waivers, if applicable, should be clearly stated on the 422/1042/2808 or on an accompanying memorandum. If waiver decisions are pending AETC/SGPS coordination, this should be stated on a memorandum included with the application. OTS applicants must include AF FM 422 with the mandatory statement below:
"Based on full record review member is medically qualified for continued enlistment, commissioning and cleared for worldwide duty in AFSC 13L1, Air Liaison Officer; and does not have an ALC or is in the process of a medical evaluation board (MEB). Member has/has not had PRK or Lasik surgery. Surgery date was on _____________," if applicable.

7. Scan and/or email completed ALO candidate application packages to AF/A3O-AYJ workflow.

8. Additional information and examples may be found on the TACP CoP (you will be prompted to join): https://www.my.af.mil/afknprod/community/views/home.aspx?Filter=AF-OP-00-04

9. If selected at Phase I, you must:

A. Immediately apply for a Top Secret (TS) clearance

B. Successfully complete Phase II AAA

(1) The AAA is demanding and includes challenging physical training events including the PAST and timed ruck marches wearing a 45 lb rucksack.
(2) Failure to meet PAST minimum standards on Day one will result in removal from the Phase II. PAST standards are listed in the AAA welcome package. In the PAST, form is very important and has resulted in the loss of many otherwise well-qualified candidates. Don't let this be you!

10. Upon successful completion of Phase II, selectees will be scheduled for the 13L training pipeline. New accessions will initially PCS to their duty location, then attend training in a TDY status. Cross flow officers will attend TDY from their current duty location, then PCS to the first 13L duty station.

A. 13L training begins with the Air Liaison Officer Basic Course (ALOBC) at Hurlburt Field, FL

B. After completion of ALOBC, officers will attend other pipeline courses at Nellis AFB, NV, Fort Sill, OK, and Fairchild AFB, WA.

C. Based on training availability, there may be delays in entering training. Officers are expected to maintain their physical fitness levels during any training delays.

11. If interested, please discuss this opportunity with your commander. Candidates are also encouraged to contact a current 13L ALO for mentoring and to become familiar with the duties and responsibilities of an ALO. 13L mentors are listed in a spreadsheet in our CoP, in the folder 13L general information.

12. Applicants are reminded to review AFI 33-332, Privacy Act Program: (1) Chapter 7, in particular paragraph 7.3, Sending Personal Information over Electronic Mail; (2) Using Privacy Act Labels, paragraph 10.2.2; and (3) Chapter 12, Disclosing Records to Third Parties. Also review DoD 5400.7-R/AF Sup, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program, Chapter 4, FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY and paragraph C4.2.1, Location of Markings. Please ensure you take appropriate action to protect any PRIVACY ACT or personal identifying information prior to forwarding your application.

#58281 - Mon Jun 20 2011 22:12 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
11LukeWD Offline

Loc: Az
Are they only accepting applications for ALO OTS slots from prior 1C4s or do non 1C4s have an opportunity during the upcoming board?

#58285 - Tue Jun 21 2011 08:20 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
TE Offline
Operator

11LukeWD:

PM replied to.

#59321 - Tue Oct 11 2011 21:26 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: TE]
Lewis Offline

Loc: WA
I'm a cadet in ROTC graduating in 2012 and I just found out from our Cadre that they have finally posted information about applying for 2012 graduates. You basically have until Nov 11th 2011 to get your application submitted for their selection board. If you're an ROTC cadet and serious about it applying I would get ahold of your Cadre ASAP in order to put together all the documents you need.

Hope this helps someone out there.

#59322 - Wed Oct 12 2011 08:32 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
TE Offline
Operator

It's 1 November according to the Fall 2011 selection announcement:

***TE NOTE: I have removed names/numbers, etc...you should be able to get that info, if not, PM me with request and I will pass it to you.***

1. We are seeking highly motivated candidates who are interested in becoming a 13L ALO. Applications are now being accepted. Candidates who are selected this cycle will attend Phase II ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA) tentatively scheduled for 12-16 December at Moody AFB, GA. This announcement is for ROTC and USAFA cadets who are graduating in 2012/2013, USAF cross flow officers, Inter-Service Transfer (IST) Candidates, and ANG/AFRES officers who wish to be recalled to active duty. 1C4XX OTS candidates may apply at this time; however, the selection board is not yet scheduled and OTS slots are still undetermined for FY13 (see pp 3.d below for more info).

2. Suspense for applications: 1 November 2011.

3. Eligible categories:

a. USAF active duty officers. We will accept applications from officers who have met the AFPC non-rated line officer crossflow board as well as any interested officers who have been released by their functional manager (this is the first step, you must get released from your AFSC, I cannot help you with this). Officers must be non-rated, rank of 2LT through major, and less than eleven years TAFCS by the date they start Phase II. One year Time on Station (TOS) is required prior to PCS, however in most cases the officer will attend 13L TDY from his current duty location which reduces the impact of the TOS requirement.

b. ROTC and USAFA cadets in their junior or senior year. In order to allow cadets sufficient time to obtain an alternate AFSC we will now allow cadets to apply in their junior year. Note for USAFA cadets: most USAFA cadets will attend AAA in March (application not due until February 1st). USAFA cadets are not prohibited from attending AAA in December, however the AAA dates may conflict with finals. USAFA cadets who wish to attend AAA in December must apply by the 1 November deadline.

c. Inter-service Transfers (IST) and ANG recall to active duty. Both programs are currently suspended, and an Exception To Policy (ETP) is required. We will still accept applications and work with you to get the ETP, but there is no guarantee that ETP will be granted.

d. OTS applicants. OTS candidates MUST be a current or prior 1C4. FY13 OTS slots have not been allocated. We are requesting all potential OTS applicants send an email statement of intent to apply to the CFM. This will help as we advocate for an increase in OTS slots for FY13. Once FY13 OTS slots are allocated we will announce a deadline for applications and a selection board date. All OTS applicants must have AFRS verify eligibility to attend OTS; send OTS application packages to HQ AFRS/RSOCL. AFRS will validate OTS eligibility status to the 13L CFM. Once verified, OTS applicants will be rank ordered through a board and placed into OTS slots as they become available. Phase II is not required for OTS ALO selects. OTS applications will be active for one year, if the applicant has not received an OTS slot at one year they must re-apply. Note: Our 13L OTS slots are outside of the general OTS selection process – You may also apply to OTS through the general OTS board held periodically by the Air Force, however you will not be awarded the 13L AFSC through this process.

4. Eligibility requirements:

a. Gender – 2011 OSD Women in Service Review resulted in proposed policy change to allow female 13L. This proposed policy change is not yet implemented. At this time we will accept applications from females and allow them to attend Phase II AAA, on a case by case, space available basis. Females must meet the same standards as males at Phase II AAA. No females will be accessed into 13L until final approval of the proposed policy change.

b. Must be a volunteer for hazardous duty.

c. Must be able to attend Phase II AAA, as scheduled. Candidates who are unable to attend the Phase II may be rescheduled if slots are available in a later Phase II.

d. Must meet medical standards for Ground Based Controller (GBC) duty IAW AFI 48-123 FOR 13LX AIR LIAISON DUTY (CURRENT AF FORM 422 OR AF FORM 1042). If you are applying for 13L, you should attempt to schedule your physical immediately. NOTE: Applicants may submit their packages before receiving their certified physical results, as long as they have completed all parts of the exam and are waiting for the processing of the paperwork. Applicants with completed physicals will have priority over non-complete applicants.

e. Must meet current TACP Physical Ability Stamina Test (PAST) standards. Requirements, administration instructions, and results reporting instructions can be found on our AF Portal site.

f. Must be eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.

5. The 13L selection process has two phases:

a. Phase I- records review. Candidates for 13L ALO apply via the ALO candidate application package. Application packages will be reviewed and applicants who are selected will continue on to Phase II. Application forms are located on our AF Portal site: https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/USAF/ep/globalTab.do?channelPageId=s88B4F00B2F0ECF41012F215423190376

Applicants having trouble viewing the link on the Air Force Portal can email the A3O-AC work flow address.

b. Phase II- ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA) Approximately 28 candidates will undergo five days of activity that will test their physical and leadership abilities. Candidates will be evaluated to determine suitability for 13L duty. AAA is also designed to introduce the candidate to the life of an ALO so that the candidate can make an informed decision. 13L is a volunteer career field and applicants are free to remove themselves from consideration at any.

Note on Phase II priority: If applicants exceed slots, first-time AAA candidates will have priority over those who are repeating AAA.

The AAA is demanding and includes challenging physical training events including the PAST and timed ruck marches wearing a 45 lb rucksack. Failure to meet PAST minimum standards on day one will result in removal from the Phase II. PAST standards are listed in the AAA welcome package. Performing the events with the correct form is critical. Improper form will result in bad repetitions not being counted. You could do 70 pushups and only have 20 counted. Don’t let this be you!

6. ALO Phase I Application Packages must contain the following:

a. ALO candidate summary sheet
• USAFA cadets must obtain Air Officer Commanding (AOC) and Group AOC (no higher) endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
• AFROTC cadets must obtain Commandant of Cadets (COC) and detachment Commanders endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
• Officers should obtain squadron and group commander (or equivalent) endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.

b. Applicant profile (resume)
c. Copies of all US Army training certificates or diplomas documenting completion of any Army formal training course (Airborne, Pathfinder, Ranger, etc), if applicable
d. PAST results. Applicants must take the PAST and submit a completed PAST Score Sheet signed by both the AFPTL, who administered the PAST, and your unit commander. The PAST scores will be a factor in determining whether applicants proceed to Phase II. All applicants will be required to meet PAST minimum standards during Phase II. Requirements, administration instructions, and results reporting instructions can be found on our AF Portal site.
e. Hazardous duty volunteer statement
f. Memorandum from the applicants’ functional manager at AFPC (n/a for cadets, ANG recall, Inter-Service Transfer, and OTS) releasing the applicant from their current AFSC to compete for 13L. This is a prerequisite to compete for 13L, all applicants still must complete the two phase selection process
g. Last three OPRs/EPRs (if applicable, training reports are acceptable)
h. Current AF Form 422 or 1042 (stating that applicant meets the physical requirements for the 13L ALO career field). Waivers, if applicable, should be clearly stated on the 422/1042/2808 or on an accompanying memorandum. If waiver decisions are pending AETC/SGPS coordination, this should be stated on a memorandum included with the application. OTS applicants must include AF FM 422 with the mandatory statement below:

“Based on full record review member is medically qualified for continued enlistment, commissioning and cleared for worldwide duty in AFSC 13L1, Air Liaison Officer; and does not have an ALC or is in the process of a medical evaluation board (MEB). Member has/has not had PRK or Lasik surgery. Surgery date was on _____________,” (if applicable).

i. Scan and email completed ALO candidate application packages to______________________________

A single PDF file is much preferred over multiple PDF files.

Upon successful completion of Phase II, selectees will be scheduled for the 13L training pipeline. You must apply for a Top Secret security clearance immediately upon completion of Phase II to avoid any delays in training. New accessions will initially PCS to their duty location, then attend training in a TDY status. Cross flow officers will attend TDY from their current duty location, then PCS to the first 13L duty station.
a. 13L training begins with the TACP Prep Course, followed by Air Liaison Officer Basic Course (ALOBC) at Hurlburt Field, FL; Air Liaison Qualification Course (ALOQC) at Nellis AFB, NV; Joint Fires Observer Course (JFO) at Fort Sill, OK; Air Force SV-80 Survival School at Fairchild AFB, WA.
b. Based on training availability, there may be delays in entering training. Officers are expected to maintain their physical fitness levels during any training delays – THE PAST IS GIVEN ON DAY ONE OF THE TACP PREP COURSE.

8. If interested, please discuss this opportunity with your commander. Candidates are also encouraged to contact a current 13L ALO for mentoring and to become familiar with the duties and responsibilities of an ALO. 13L mentors are listed in a spreadsheet on our AF Portal site. If you have further questions, contact the 13L CFM.

Applicants are reminded to review AFI 33-332, Privacy Act Program: (1) Chapter 7, in particular paragraph 7.3, Sending Personal Information over Electronic Mail; (2) Using Privacy Act Labels, paragraph 10.2.2; and (3) Chapter 12, Disclosing Records to Third Parties. Also review DoD 5400.7-R/AF Sup, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program, Chapter 4, FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY and paragraph C4.2.1, Location of Markings. Please ensure you take appropriate action to protect any PRIVACY ACT or personal identifying information prior to forwarding your application.

10. The point of contact for this program is HQ USAF/A3O-AC.

#59412 - Tue Oct 25 2011 07:13 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
scl Offline

Loc: fl
Where can I find the euipment/supply list for the ALO phase II/AAA course? Thx.

#59414 - Tue Oct 25 2011 15:19 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
TE Offline
Operator

It is contained in the AAA information packet here:

AAA Candidate Information Package

#59758 - Mon Dec 12 2011 15:50 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: TE]
pye28 Offline

Loc: GA
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123237367

Hi all,

I just found this article. I just wanted to check to see if it's still non-existent for OTS applicants to apply for the 13L field. I'm shooting for 12OT02 here soon, and I didn't know if I'd be able to try to go into 13L right away, or if I'd have to wait and try after I'm commissioned in another AFSC first. I'd like to be a CRO, too, but I know that there's a (good) chance that I can't pass the PT tests and such.

Thanks.

#59986 - Thu Jan 12 2012 05:02 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: pye28]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

pye28, unfortunately the only folks becoming ALOs through OTS are prior 1C4 applicants. The best way for you to become an ALO is to contact the CFM and ask the question regarding your future. I will tell you that the two careerfields are very different and don't have much in common besides some basic field equipment. One is responsible for the one end of the battlefield in returning our brothers safely and the other is responsible for close air support and other tactical employments of combat airpower. The other thing you need to answer is whether or not you are up to it physically. The first school after selection is 18 weeks long and very demanding on your body. The other schools are demanding, but leave the physical training to you to maintain standards and not become a chubby. If you have other concerns, shoot me a PM.

#61338 - Thu Jun 07 2012 22:20 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
cpgreenfoothopeful Online

Any changes on OTS and non 1C4?

#62923 - Thu Dec 13 2012 22:28 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: cpgreenfoothopeful]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

Not that I know of. I am awaiting words on the changes as they have adjusted in-service application standards. Please contact the CFM and request further words. We are monitoring feedback monthly as a united AFSC.

#62989 - Thu Jan 03 2013 05:31 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Mattdm311 Offline

Loc: New York
Do non-rated ALOs get an officers version of an SRB when they re-up their commission?

Edited by Mattdm311 (Thu Jan 03 2013 05:32 AM)

#63188 - Wed Feb 06 2013 22:39 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

No, there are no SRBs for ALOs. You will also not be compensated financially for obtaining the 914 identifier (JTAC).

#63499 - Fri Mar 15 2013 23:46 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
c14hmartin Offline

Loc: USAFA
Any news on upcoming Phase II AAA? I heard rumors of a selection date in late july/august?

#63779 - Mon May 20 2013 04:49 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: c14hmartin]
BayouBoy Offline
Operator

As far as I know that is correct. Dates are TBD at this time due to money, but standy by. There will be an announcement through your Chief of Training for the Academy. The title might be incorrect, but this person handles getting cadets to STO and CRO assessment.

#63833 - Wed May 29 2013 07:16 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Kitch Offline

Loc: TX
Check the COP, if you have access. The letter is out....

#63834 - Wed May 29 2013 07:31 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
TE Offline
Operator

According to the Summer 13 ALO call-out message, non-prior 1C4 (TACP) can now apply or ALO per paragraph below:

Prior-enlisted 1C4 OTS selects will be waived from the AAA Phase II. Non-prior 1C4 OTS candidates accepted by the OTS selection process requesting 13L AFSC will be required to attend and successfully complete AAA before attending OTS.

Deadline for summer applications is 20 Jun 13.

Sanitized message is below, PM me for details which I'll send to an official email address...will also provide CoP link if you need it.
---------------------
Field Message, Soliciting Volunteers for the 13Lxx Air Liaison Officer (ALO) Career Field – Summer 2013 selection announcement
Applicable to: Active Duty
Subject: Volunteers for the 13Lxx Air Liaison Officer (ALO) Career Field - Summer 2013 selection announcement.
1. The Air Force is seeking highly motivated candidates who are interested in becoming a 13L ALO. Applications are now being accepted. Candidates who are selected this cycle will attend Phase II ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA) scheduled for 3-7 August 2013 at Jacks Valley, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, CO. This announcement is for ROTC and USAFA cadets who are graduating in Calendar year 2013 and 2014, USAF cross flow officers and Initial Skills Training Reclassification (IST) Candidates. OTS candidates may apply for the Air Force OTS board (see pp 3.d below for more info).
2. Suspense for applications: 20 Jun 2013. Email applications to ACC/A3FC workflow at: contact TE or go to COP.
3. Eligible categories:
• a. USAF active duty officers. We will accept applications from officers who have met the AFPC non-rated line officer cross-flow board as well as any interested officers who have been released by their functional manager (this is the first step, you must get released from your AFSC, I cannot help you with this). Officers must be non-rated, rank of 2LT through Captain, and less than ten years TAFCS by the date they start Phase II. One year Time on Station (TOS) is required prior to PCS, however in most cases the officer will attend 13L Basic Course TDY from his/her current duty location, which reduces the impact of the TOS requirement.
• b. ROTC and USAFA cadets in their junior or senior year. In order to allow cadets sufficient time to obtain an alternate AFSC we will allow cadets to apply in their junior year. All ROTC and USAFA candidates who have been selected for an AFSC must be released to compete for 13L ALO by AFPC/DPSIP. You won’t lose your current AFSC unless/until you successfully complete AAA.
• c. Inter-service Transfers (IST) and ANG recall to active duty. Both programs are currently suspended, and an Exception To Policy (ETP) is required. We will not accept applications at this time as current indications are no ETP will be granted.
• d. OTS applicants. Due to the normalization of the 13L selection process, OTS candidates now apply through the general OTS non-rated selection board. Indicate your preference for 13L AFSC on the application. Prior-enlisted 1C4 OTS selects will be waived from the AAA Phase II. Non-prior 1C4 OTS candidates accepted by the OTS selection process requesting 13L AFSC will be required to attend and successfully complete AAA before attending OTS.
4. Eligibility requirements:
• a. Must be a volunteer for hazardous duty.
• b. Must be able to attend Phase II AAA, as scheduled. Candidates selected during the Phase I board who subsequently prove unable to attend this Phase II may be rescheduled if slots are available in a later Phase II.
• c. Must meet medical standards for Ground Based Controller (GBC) (or Flight Class III medical) duty IAW AFI 48-123 FOR 13LX AIR LIAISON DUTY (CURRENT AF FORM 422 OR AF FORM 1042).
• d. Must be eligible for a Top Secret security clearance. If selected at Phase II the candidate must immediately apply for a TS clearance in order to enter the training pipeline.
5. The 13L selection process has two phases:
• a. Phase I- records review. Candidates for 13L ALO apply via the ALO candidate application package. Application packages will be reviewed and applicants who are selected will continue on to Phase II. Application forms are located on the following AF Portal site: . All applicants must use the up-to-date version of the forms and templates available at that site or the applications will be returned.
• b. Phase II- ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA). Approximately 30-40 candidates will undergo five days of activity that will test their physical and leadership abilities. Candidates will be evaluated to determine suitability for 13L duty. The AAA is a challenging program with multiple scenarios and exercises introducing stress into challenging leadership evaluations. To best prepare for the physical and mental rigors of AAA and the 13L AFSC, prospective candidates should be in top physical condition prior to attending. 13L is a volunteer career field; as such, applicants may remove themselves from consideration at any time.
• c. To better-prepare for AAA, candidates should begin a preparatory program of ruck-march training upon submitting an application. This will aid in injury prevention during the AAA Phase II road march exercise. Many ruck-march training resources can be found online. The Squadron Commander’s endorsement section in the ALO Candidate Data Summary should include a statement that the candidate has begun road (ruck) march training. Additionally, candidates are advised to include strength training in the fitness regimen.
• d. It is highly encouraged that prospective candidates contact a 13L mentor or the Career Field Manager to learn more about the application process, the AAA and ALO duties. Mentor names and contact information are provided on the COP under the 13L Information, Career Field Information subsection. There are mentors available who have gone through each of the 13L accession methods, so they will be able to assist the application through many likely scenarios.
• ** Note on Phase II priority: If applicants exceed slots, first-time AAA candidates will have priority over those who are repeating AAA.
6. ALO Phase I Application Packages must contain the following:
• a. ALO Application Spreadsheet:
o Fill in the spreadsheet and include as an attachment with your package
• b. ALO Candidate Data Summary (version 9):
o USAFA cadets must obtain Air Officer Commanding (AOC) and Group AOC (no higher) endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
o AFROTC cadets must obtain Commandant of Cadets (COC) and detachment Commanders endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
o Officers should obtain squadron and group commander (or equivalent) endorsement in block 15 and 16 of the ALO candidate summary sheet.
• c. Memorandum of release from AFSC (n/a for OTS). The functional manager at AFPC must release the applicant from their current AFSC to compete for 13L. This is a prerequisite to compete for 13L, all applicants still must complete the two phase selection process. Note: All USAFA/ROTC cadets who have been classified MUST obtain a release from AFPC to apply for 13L ALO.
• d. Hazardous duty volunteer statement.
• e. Current physical: ROTC and USAFA cadets who do not have access to a local flight surgeon are exempt from obtaining the Ground Based Controller physical for Phase I and will instead submit a DoDMERB. All other applicants must submit an AF Form 1042 or 422 stating that the applicant meets the physical requirements for Ground Based Aircraft Controller Duties. Waivers, if applicable, should be clearly stated on the AF Form 422/1042/2808 or on an accompanying memorandum. If waiver decisions are pending AETC/SGPS coordination, this should be stated on a memorandum included with the application. OTS applicants must include AF Form 422 with the mandatory statement below:
“Based on full record review member is medically qualified for continued enlistment, commissioning and cleared for worldwide duty in AFSC 13L1, Air Liaison Officer; and does not have an ALC or is in the process of a medical evaluation board (MEB). Member has/has not had PRK or Lasik surgery. Surgery date was on _____________,” (if applicable).
• f. Applicant profile (resume)
• g. Copies of all US Army training certificates or diplomas. Documentation of completion of any Army formal training course (Airborne, Pathfinder, Ranger, etc), if applicable.
• h. Last three OPRs/EPRs (as applicable). In Garrison Training/Field training reports are acceptable for USAFA/ROTC Candidates or if the candidate has not received OPRs.
• i. Scan and email completed ALO candidate application packages to ACC/A3FC workflow at:
• Please create one PDF file with all the application documents.
7. Applicants will be notified of their Phase I selection status and scheduled for Phase II AAA promptly following the Phase I board results.
• a. Upon successful completion of Phase II, selectees will be scheduled for the 13L training pipeline. You must apply for a Top Secret security clearance immediately upon completion of Phase II to avoid any delays in training. New accessions to the Air Force (ROTC/USAFA, ANG recalls, Inter-Service-Transfers) will initially PCS to their duty location, then attend training in a TDY status. Cross flow officers will attend TDY from their current duty location, then PCS to the first 13L duty station. 13L training begins with the ALO Prep Course, followed by Air Liaison Officer Basic Course (ALOBC) at Hurlburt Field, FL; Air Liaison Qualification Course (ALOQC) at Nellis AFB, NV; Air Force SV-80 Survival School at Fairchild AFB, WA.
• b. Based on training availability, there may be delays in entering training and breaks in training between pipeline courses. Officers are expected to maintain their physical fitness levels during any training delays.
8. If interested, please discuss this opportunity with your commander. Candidates are also encouraged to contact a current 13L ALO for mentoring and to become familiar with the duties and responsibilities of an ALO. 13L mentors are listed in a spreadsheet on the ACC Portal site. Applicants and Commanders may also contact ACC/A3FC to obtain a mentor.
9. Applicants are reminded to review AFI 33-332, Privacy Act Program: (1) Chapter 7, in particular paragraph 7.3, Sending Personal Information over Electronic Mail; (2) Using Privacy Act Labels, paragraph 10.2.2; and (3) Chapter 12, Disclosing Records to Third Parties. Also review DoD 5400.7-R/AF Sup, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program, Chapter 4, FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY and paragraph C4.2.1, Location of Markings. Please ensure you take appropriate action to protect any PRIVACY ACT or personal identifying information prior to forwarding your application.
10. The point of contact for this program is XXX

#64401 - Thu Sep 12 2013 06:53 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
KendrickRice09 Offline

Loc: VA - Virginia
I am confused. Why does the Air Liaison Officer AFSC have two designations? 13LX and 13BXU. Are the differences just rated and non rated?

#64402 - Thu Sep 12 2013 09:13 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK, USA
13L, the X is a qualification variable, is the Air Liaison Officer (ALO) AFSC.

13LXA is the Air Support Operations Center (ASOC) suffix identifier.

13LXB is Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) suffix identifier.

13B, the X is a qualification variable, is the Air Battle Manager AFSC. It has B-AWACS, C-Air Defense, D-mobile air control, K-JSTARS, M-Trainer (UABMT), U-Air Liaison (ALO), Y-General, and Z-Other special experience identifiers (shred outs)

The X qualification variables are: 1-entry/student, 2- Intermediate Qualification (is only for AFSCs so designated in the AFOCD), 3-Qualified, 4-staff (Designation of “staff level” relates only to the level of functional responsibility and is restricted to positions above wing level. It does not denote additional specialty qualifications. In addition, not all positions above wing level qualify for the staff AFSC.)

Both AFSC are specialty (AFSCs) of the SPACE, NUCLEAR and MISSILE OPERATIONS, & COMMAND and CONTROL(C2)
UTILIZATION FIELD (13XX).

SPACE, NUCLEAR and MISSILE OPERATIONS, & COMMAND and CONTROL (C2) UTILIZATION FIELD (13XX)

Introduction (Changed 30 Apr 13)

The Space, Nuclear and Missile Operations, and C2 Utilization Field encompasses the major areas of astronauts, space, nuclear and missile operations, air battle management, airfield operations, combat control, command posts, and airfield operations management.

The Astronaut specialty (AFSC 13AX) includes commanding space shuttle missions, piloting a space shuttle, mission specialists, accomplishing on-orbit duties, operating Department of Defense payloads, and providing manned space flight consultation.

The Command and Control Operations specialties (AFSCs 13BX, 13CX, 13DX, 13MX) include:

Air Battle Manager (13BX) specialty encompasses all functions performed by rated air battle manager officers to conduct or directly support flying operations, including combat, combat support, and training missions. Inherently included are supervisory and staff functions such as inspection, contingency planning, and policy formulation.

Current aeronautical rating and qualification for aviation service according to AFI 11-402., Aviation and Parachutist Service, Aeronautical Ratings and Badges, are mandatory for award and retention of air battle manager AFSCs. See AFI 36-2101, Classifying Military Personnel (Officers and Airmen), for policy on retention or withdrawal of rated AFSCs for personnel disqualified from aviation service or place in an inactive status.

Special Tactics (13CX) and Control and Recovery (13DX) responsibilities include mission planning and managing day-to-day operations of personnel recovery (PR) activities and special tactics teams (STT) deploying to provide air traffic control support to airlift and transitory flight operations on assault zones within airhead areas. STTs initiate and issue clearances and instructions for air traffic separation, and ensure safe, orderly, and expeditious air traffic flow in and around assault zones.

Airfield Operations (13MX) functions encompassing policy planning, program formulation, direction, control evaluation, and coordination of airfield operations, including air traffic control, command, operation, administration, and inspection of these activities.

The Nuclear and Missile Operations specialty (13NX) encompasses operating and managing systems involved in nuclear and missile operations including launch operations.

The space operations specialty (13SX) encompasses operating and managing systems involved in space surveillance, spacelift, ballistic space warning, and satellite command and control.

Positions above wing level may qualify for the staff AFSC. The staff AFSC identifies an officer position above wing level specifically on the duty requirements of the role performed, not the fact that the authorization is on a staff above wing level. Use staff AFSCs (XXX4) to identify planning and policy-making positions above wing level. It requires the same skills as those for the qualified AFSC (XXX3), but applied to developing broad policies, plans, and procedures. Management responsibility increases without a corresponding increase in knowledge of the technical aspects of the function. Officers filling/have filled such positions are awarded the staff AFSC.

---my comments below--

Prior to the 13L AFSC being established in 2009 the commissioned officers performing such duties were either pilots, weapons systems officers, perhaps even a navigator who were pulled from flying (often involuntarily) to exclusively do these duties. When AIR BATTLE MANAGER specialty was established they were also utilized to perform such duties. The U as in 13BXU is the suffix identifier for rated officer (pilots, WSOs) and Air Battle managers pulled to do an assignment as Liaison officers to the Army after they completed required training, The ALOQC wasn't as formalized in the past as it currently is.

It should be noted the liaison the Army and Air Force duties until ALO 13L AFSC established included troop carrier and air drop supply and resupply duties. These officers were the liaisons between Air Force and Army coordinating getting the aircraft to support Army air landing (primarily C-130, but also C-141, C-5) assaults, airborne assault and other operations where air drop of troops and supplies and resupply are critical to Army ground combat operations. These ALOs were typically C-119, C-130 type rated officers and BTW they also wear the ALO Black Beret (or did) during my years of active duty. Most ALO duty positions were not parachutist coded duty positions and there were no PAST or other screening and selection requirements to be put into such duty positions.

Currently:

13MXU designates a Mobility Pilot/Air Liaison Officer.

13BXU designates Air Battle Manager/Air Liaison Officer.

11SXU designates a Special Operations Pilot/Air Liaison Officer.

11UXU designates a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Pilot/Air Liaison Officer.

12BXU designates a Bomber Combat Systems Officer/Air Liaison Officer.

12UXU designates Remotely Piloted Aircraft/ALO.

There's a few more but this provides the picture.

#64406 - Fri Sep 13 2013 12:23 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: Yukon]
KendrickRice09 Offline

Loc: VA - Virginia
Thank you sir for clearing that up.

#64407 - Fri Sep 13 2013 14:04 PM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: KendrickRice09]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Originally Posted By: KendrickRice09
Thank you sir for clearing that up.
Perhaps it did, but perhaps not pertinent to are the differences generated by being differences rated or non rated.

Fully understanding ALO duties (not the AFSC) is understanding the primary purpose is "Liaison means communication between two or more groups, or co-operation or working together" and not necessarily being a JTAC.

The Feasibility of an Air Liaison Officer Career Field gives some insight as to why the 13L ALO career field came into being, but lacks insight to "all" the liaison duty positions the Air Force put in place to do combined arms operations or combined arms warfare after it became a separate military department in 1947.

Combined arms operations or combined arms warfare is what joint operations was called during WWII during the days of the Army Air Forces.

#65390 - Wed Feb 26 2014 16:37 PM Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
jbow1221 Offline

Loc: mississippi
Hey I'm new to this so I hope I am doing this right but I am currently an AFROTC cadet and I can't find an answer anywhere to my question. I am wanting to enter into the 13L careerfield but I also want to go to grad school immediately after graduation I know that I am able to get an educational delay in general but I don't know if what I am trying to do is possible and also go into this careerfield. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

#65391 - Wed Feb 26 2014 17:13 PM Re: Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Yukon Offline
Operator

This educational delay question is one your AFROTC chain of command can best answer. Generally educational delays are granted for those professional (medical/law) commissions requiring advanced post graduate degree of some sort. 13L ALO is a line of the Air Force commission and has no advanced degree entry classification requirements. Consequently, the best answer is the questions of why would the Air Force agree to such additional education investment or delay in return in current investment of no value added to performing 13L ALO duties?

#65441 - Wed Mar 05 2014 07:54 AM Re: Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: BayouBoy]
Kitch Offline

Loc: TX
Any grubblings on a summer AAA call out?

#65443 - Wed Mar 05 2014 11:54 AM Re: Information for Applying to 13L - Air Liaison Officer Careerfield [Re: KendrickRice09]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Originally Posted By: KendrickRice09
I am confused. Why does the Air Liaison Officer AFSC have two designations? 13LX and 13BXU. Are the differences just rated and non rated?
Two separate career fields. Air liaison Officer is a duty.

Liaison is defined as "a person whose function it is to make and maintain a connection, as between persons or groups. ALO is not linked to being and functioning as a JTAC or as a member of a Tactical Air Control Party.

BTW although Party and Team are interchangeable in terms of being a group working together there is a slight autonomy/independence difference in operational utilization.

Feasibility of an Air Liaison Officer Career Field discloses an as accurate as you can find background info as to why the 13L ALO AFSC was needed. As the information is SOF Tactical Air Control more so than Tactical Air Control (conventional Army support) and enlisted TACP needing competent officer leadership it does emphasize that more than other "traditional" ALO duties.

The only authorized 13L suffix is A (ASOC). Previous AFOCD identified two. The J (JTAC) suffix was dropped when the AFSC was reengineered to make JTAC qualification required for award of the qualified (13L3) AFSC. Career development is 13L1 (entry) to 13L2 (intermediate) to 13L3 (qualified).

Also the AFOCD states: "3.5.1. For entry into AFSC 13L1, successful completion of the ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA) or possess an aeronautical rating of Pilot (11FXX or 11BXX only) or Navigator/Combat Systems Officer (CSO) (12FXX/12BXX only) or Air Battle Manager (13BXX)."

Moderator:  BayouBoy, Guard MC, PJ1, RECA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12040 Members
83 Forums
11775 Topics
53946 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas