Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#51647 - Wed Sep 30 2009 02:46 AM Air National Guard PJ question(s)
rawcorp Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I was wondering, what are some of the mission differences between a PJ in the USAF or in the Air National Guard? By that I mean, do you do differnt types of rescue missions if you are a USAF PJ compared to a ANG PJ? I read on one website that ANG PJ's work with Coast Guard on some civilian rescues. Are ANG PJ's the ones who do the open water rescues? I am under the impression that the people that do the open water rescues are Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers. If ANG PJ's do perform that duty, is every PJ suppose to be able to perform that duty, or only some PJ's able to perform that duty? I have even tried reading the PJ training pipeline, but have been unable to figure it out even from reading that. If my my question(s) seem unclear, please let me know so that I may better elaborate on it.

I am currently very interested in joining the USAF or California Air National Guard to become a PJ. The CA ANG unit I am interested in is the 129th Rescue Wing. I don't know if that helps in getting the correct answers for my questions.

Click to support the Site!
#51650 - Wed Sep 30 2009 15:37 PM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: rawcorp]
kryypto Offline

Yes

#51651 - Wed Sep 30 2009 15:55 PM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: kryypto]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
The Moffet Field PJs do a lot of open water rescue work. If the rescue is over 250 miles from shore, it is usually the USAF or ANG Helicopter/MC-130/PJ team that does the rescue as the Coast Guard helos don't have the range.
All PJs are trained to jump or helo hoist into the ocean to pick up isolated personnel, the injured or others in distress. They will pick up them up anywhere on earth, any time, in just about any conditions. All are trained the same initially but each unit will emphasise the skills and training that they do most more than stuff they rarely do. California does a lot of ocean stuff but also a lot of rotations in the overseas contingency operations as well. Call them and get more info.

#51652 - Wed Sep 30 2009 18:08 PM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: Guard MC]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK, USA
Originally Posted By: rawcorp
I am under the impression that the people that do the open water rescues are Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers.
Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Swimmers are an asset as are USAF PJs. There are several demarcations that cause CG Rescue swimmers and PJS to differ. However, all responders whether helicopter, boat, CG rescue swimmer, PJ or other military resource doen’t respond to a civilian SAR unless there is an RCC mission number. The Coast Guard owns all the martime region RCCs and Air Force owns all the within United States inland region RCCs.

The primary US policy bible is called the United States National Search and Rescue Supplement to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual. USAF Pararescue is specifically mentioned in this policy document.

Quote:
2.12.3 DOD resources that may be available to assist include Air Force pararescue personnel, and specialized teams such as Army, Navy, and Air Force explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams, Navy sea-air-land (SEAL) teams, or CAP ranger teams.

2.13.3 Air Force: resources include limited numbers of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft capable of being used for civil SAR purposes. In addition, limited numbers of pararescue personnel may be available to assist civil resources in specific situations.
… f) Pararescue personnel, SAR personnel highly trained in such fields as parachuting, mountaineering, survival in all environments, advanced emergency medical care, underwater scuba swimming, and aircraft crash fire fighting, can deploy from aircraft over any type of terrain or ocean, day or night, to assist survivors. The pararescue team usually consists of two pararescue personnel equipped with emergency medical care kits, survival kits, and either scuba or forest penetration parachute kits.

5.2 Terrain
5.2.1 The terrain may determine the type of search pattern needed and the SAR facility selected. Highly maneuverable aircraft effective at high altitudes may be required in rugged mountain areas. Helicopters may not be able to operate in the thin air and turbulence associated with mountain contour searches. The survival kit carried by the distressed craft and the hoist devices available also influence decision-making. Dense foliage may hamper visual and electronic searches and require a greater number of aircraft and ground SAR facilities, and closer search track spacing. The presence of electrical power lines, towers, and bridges should be considered when planning search altitudes and areas. Prominent landmarks can be used as boundaries and checkpoints for laying out aeronautical and ground search areas. Some aircraft may have poor navigation equipment, and some members of ground parties may be inexperienced outdoors and more effective when using readily recognizable boundaries. The type of rescue team used after the distress site has been located is also terrain dependent. Local law enforcement authorities, forest service personnel, mountain rescue clubs, ski clubs, or pararescue personnel may be required.

6.10 Rescues in Difficult Environments
6.10.1 Certain geographical areas with unique terrain, weather, or accessibility conditions pose special considerations.

6.10.2 Pararescue teams can place medically trained personnel at the distress scene with a minimum of delay. These teams are qualified for jumping into both open ocean and land environments. RCCs are to maintain a list of available pararescue teams, their basic capabilities, and means for requesting their use.

Polar Environment.

6.10.4 Immediately upon …
a) Polar survival professionals may assist. Pararescue teams should be considered as a primary means of polar rescue. Appropriate agencies should be alerted and briefed as to the possible need for pararescue teams.

6.20 EMS Personnel
6.20.1 Emergency medical services personnel are trained to provide emergency medical care lifesaving services at the distress scene. In addition, these personnel may be trained to provide life support and life-sustaining services during survivor extraction from wreckage, evacuation, and transport to a receiving medical facility. They include SAR crewmen and pararescue personnel qualified to administer basic lifesaving first aid and trained EMS personnel such as doctors, nurses, corpsmen, paramedics, or SAR emergency medical technicians (EMTs).

#51656 - Thu Oct 01 2009 01:31 AM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: Yukon]
rawcorp Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Thank you guys for the info. Everything has been totally useful. I never knew that the scope of a PJ's duties was be so large. I will be going by Moffet to talk to the recruiter next week to get more info.

#51850 - Mon Oct 19 2009 18:26 PM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: rawcorp]
Bjj4life Offline

In regards to the ANG vs AF PJ, is training the same? AKA is the 2 year pipeline for AF PJ the same for ANG PJ? I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance!

#51852 - Mon Oct 19 2009 20:54 PM Re: Air National Guard PJ question(s) [Re: Bjj4life]
moe Offline
Operator

Loc: Arizona
Same exact training for active duty, AF reserve and ANG PJ's. Not one bit of difference.

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12537 Members
83 Forums
12004 Topics
54876 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas

Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin