Check ST.com Email | Hooahshirts.com | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Recommended Books | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
T-Shirts & Gear

Pararescue Decal

Pararescue T-Shirt

Combat Control T-Shirt

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#46840 - Sun Jul 20 2008 14:49 PM family life
camilo Offline

Loc: New Mexico
hello, I was wondering if one could have their spouses live in lackland throughout indoc and if they could be with you throughout trainning?

I know that all trainees have to be dorm together, but can their families be living in san antonio in the base while you are at indoc?

And how is it throughout the pipeline?

Click to support the Site!
#46844 - Sun Jul 20 2008 18:25 PM Re: family life [Re: camilo]
wpony2k Offline

Loc: COS
I love my family, but personnaly I wouldn't want any distractions while I'm going through anything that mentally and physically demanding. You could have your spouse move there and maybe even get on the base housing waiting list. But for such a short time frame, the added stress of packing and moving, just so you can pack, get a scrutinized inspection and move again would not be woth the hassle.

#46851 - Mon Jul 21 2008 08:16 AM Re: family life [Re: wpony2k]
bolden Offline

Loc: dallas, tx
family = on hold till after training. i'm not gonna sit here and judge you because i haven't even been to basic yet but if you all can't survive the split until you're done with the pipeline, then you're really hurting your chances of success anyway. how you think it's gonna be when you get deployed?

#46855 - Mon Jul 21 2008 14:18 PM Re: family life [Re: bolden]
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
To answer the question, your spouse will join you at your first duty station (Hurlburt for CCT, Kirtland for PJ)...until then, the Air Force won't pay for any moves for her...but if you are willing to pay for her to join you, it can be done...it is NOT recommended, remember that your first PCS will be after scuba school for PJ and after CCT school for CCT. You don't need her with you before that, simply because you need to concentrate on the job at hand. As others have intimated...this will be a bit of a test for you as, if you make it, you'll be deployed for 3 - 6 months as a PJ or CCT and that is taxing on some marriages.

As for the pipeline, it's as above, you will get some benefits being married. You should get paid for BAH there for where she is at, and you will get full rent/mortgage when you PCS to Hurlburt or Kirtland...depending on what you rent or buy it covers your rent/mortgage, food, etc...plus you get lots of additional pay that will help (go to the overview page)...above and beyond your basic pay...one of the very best benefits of the Air Force that is not talked about alot...

Bottom line...even if you have to be apart for a while, it's worth it...I recommend you do NOT bring the wife to indoc or any pipeline schools...it's a small price to pay for joining Pararescue or Combat Control...and if you guys can't handle the initial seperation...you'll never handle the deployments that are guaranteed to come...so sit down, talk about it, and decide from there.

#46861 - Mon Jul 21 2008 18:54 PM Re: family life [Re: TE]
Rubberduck83 Offline

Loc: San Pedro, CA
Do ANG and Reserves guys also PCS to Kirtland for Pararescue? I thought I heard that they go back to their home base between pipeline schools, but I may be wrong.

#46870 - Tue Jul 22 2008 00:36 AM Re: family life [Re: Rubberduck83]
derian Offline

Loc: Iowa
Just out of curiosity -- does a PJ trainee typically go from Indoc --> Dive School, or is there typically a period of other schools in the between period?

#46879 - Tue Jul 22 2008 08:56 AM Re: family life [Re: derian]
RJuck Offline

Loc: Nellis AFB
Rubberduck83: It depends on what your unit wants to pay for. Some guys go TDY to Kirtland for their training while others PCS and stay until their pipeline is done.

Derian: Typically you go straight to Dive school from indoc but it depends on slots. They like to PCS you to Kirtland after dive school and then you go TDY to airborne, freefall, etc.

#46895 - Tue Jul 22 2008 19:45 PM Re: family life [Re: RJuck]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
It is not up to the ANG unit if you PCS vs TDY to Kirtland. Policy is laid out in AFIs so you will PCS to Kirtland if your school will last over 179 days. Some guys have schools that shorten their time at Kirtland below 179 days so they can go there in TDY status. Any exceptions to this policy (I know of only one) were probably one of a kind "crack deals" made between the ANG unit and National Guard Bureau. I wouldn't count on an exception to the AFI regarding PCS vs TDY policy.

#46913 - Wed Jul 23 2008 13:49 PM Re: family life [Re: Guard MC]
camilo Offline

Thank you very much guys.

One last question, I heard that when you are going thru the pipeline, your are kinda station at lackland in between pipeline schools. Is that true?

#46914 - Wed Jul 23 2008 14:01 PM Re: family life [Re: camilo]
camilo Offline

I got it guys, I just fully understood everything.
Thank you very much.

#51679 - Fri Oct 02 2009 18:56 PM Re: family life [Re: camilo]
RichardGoff Offline

I'm getting in this thread kind of late, but at Med. school in NC, am I alowed to bring my wife? if so would I be able to see her?

#51680 - Fri Oct 02 2009 18:57 PM Re: family life [Re: camilo]
RichardGoff Offline

I'm getting in this thread kind of late, but at Med. school in NC, am I alowed to bring my wife? if so would I be able to see her?

#51682 - Fri Oct 02 2009 19:16 PM Re: family life [Re: RichardGoff]
Guard MC Offline
Operator

Loc: Louisville, Ky STS
If you PCS, which most people do, then your wife will live there with you; probably off base.

#51684 - Fri Oct 02 2009 19:19 PM Re: family life [Re: Guard MC]
RichardGoff Offline

Thanks Guard

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML through Specialtactics.com. All website donations go directly to the That Others May Live foundation.

You may also
Donate directly to TOML.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12012 Members
86 Forums
11759 Topics
53886 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas