Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Site Support
PJ Stickers

LATEST book on Pararescue!
Topic Options
#20237 - Fri Jun 07 2002 17:07 PM Heart murmur
Boots Offline

I have a small VSD (Ventricular Septor Defect) that has been closing slowly over my life. I am now 23, it is audible with a stethescope. Is there anything I can do about this waiver-wise, or am I just screwed at ever having a chance to get into the service, or special operations for that matter. Has anyone ever had experience with this or someone who has this complication? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Lawrence

Click to support the Site!
#20238 - Mon Jun 10 2002 08:21 AM Re: Heart murmur
TE Offline
Operator

Loc: Various
You'd have to talk to a Flight Surgeon...maybe PJ2PA will have some insight.

#20239 - Mon Jun 10 2002 11:07 AM Re: Heart murmur
TE Offline
Operator

Here is what the AFI says:

A7.17.1.5.6. Any significant congenital abnormalities of the heart and vessels, unless corrected by surgery without residuals or complications. A minimum recovery period of 6 months following surgery is mandatory before waiver is considered together with repeat studies including invasive testing as applicable, demonstrating functional correction.

Uncomplicated dextrocardia and minor atrial and ventricular septal defects may be acceptable without surgical correction.

So, yours could very well be accepted, but the Medical Evaluation Board will determine that. Good luck.

#20240 - Mon Jun 10 2002 20:37 PM Re: Heart murmur
Boots Offline

Thanks for your help. How would I get in contact with a Flight Surgeon? Should going through a recruiter be the easiest route?

Lawrence

#20241 - Tue Jun 11 2002 09:26 AM Re: Heart murmur
TE Offline
Operator

He could help, if you're near a base you could call the operator and ask for the flight surgeons office. They may not be able to tell you much because tests and/or your med records (if you have them) will have to be reviewed.

Moderator:  Guard MC, PJ1, PJ2PA, SN, TE 
Cals, Crossfit, TRX & Rings
That Others May Live

That Others May Live is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2002. The That Others May Live Foundation provides scholarships, family counseling, and aid to surviving children of United States Air Force (USAF) Rescue heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice during a Rescue mission, training, or other Personnel Recovery (PR) collateral mission.

Donate to TOML.

Who's Online
3 registered (grimbear13, APJOC613, Changa), 36 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
83 Forums
11995 Topics
54866 Posts

Max Online: 151 @ Mon Jan 17 2011 21:36 PM
Joint Tactics & Medicine

JOINT TACTICS & MEDICINE (JTM)

Celebrating 12 Years of Providing High-Level Weapons Training, Combat Medicine and Support Services to Warfighters from around the globe.

Combat Medic & TCCC training Programs
Hyper-Realistic Scenario Training Support
Advanced Operator Weapon Training Programs
Custom Tailored Training Requirements

JTM Las Vegas

Check ST.com Email | P90X | Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin